Ladies and gentlemen, gather ‘round the breakfast table, for we have a treat that’s straight out of the imagination of Barbieland: Pancake Spaghetti! Yes, you read that right. Forget dalgona coffee and custard toast; this trend is the latest star on TikTok, and it’s here to satisfy your cravings for something uniquely delicious!
So, what exactly is Pancake Spaghetti, you ask? It’s a genius twist on regular pancakes. The batter and toppings remain the same, but the magic happens when you expertly pipe the batter into long, thin strips instead of the traditional circles. Not only does this cut down on cooking time, but it also transforms those fluffy pancakes into irresistibly crispy strands. It’s a visual wonder that’ll make your kids (and even adults) jump with joy!
Now, let’s give credit where credit’s due. The creative mastermind behind this fantastic breakfast invention is none other than TikTok user @brianaarchuleta. One fine morning, her husband, Steven Archuleta, stumbled upon this delightful idea while rustling up breakfast for their little ones. As he moved a package of spaghetti out of his way in the kitchen, the lightbulb went off, and a viral trend was born! He calls it “squiggle cakes”, but we’re sticking with Pancake Spaghetti for obvious reasons.
But how do you whip up this delectable dream? Fear not, for we’ve got your back! Whether you’re a culinary guru or a breakfast newbie, you can master this recipe. You can go old-school with a from-scratch pancake mix or use a trusty boxed one—your call! Steven prefers making the batter a bit runnier than the instructions say for easy piping. Smooth batter, happy life!
Once you’ve got your piping-consistency batter ready, heat up a nonstick skillet or griddle and grease it with butter or cooking spray. Pro tip: a griddle works wonders for longer, spaghetti-like strands, but both will do the job. Now comes the fun part! Transfer that magical batter into a resealable plastic bag, squeeze bottle, or piping bag. Snip a small hole at one corner of the bag—remember, we want thin strands, not veritable rope bridges!
Now, let the pancake spaghetti showtime begin! Here’s the exact recipe..
Spaghetti Pancake Recipe
Butter or Cooking Spray
Prepared Pancake Batter (from scratch or boxed mix)
Pancake or Maple Syrup
Additional Toppings of your choice (e.g., chocolate chips, fruit, whipped cream, cheese, scrambled eggs, bacon, etc.)
- Preheat and Grease: Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Grease it with butter or cooking spray. If you have a griddle, even better, as it allows for longer strands of pancake spaghetti.
- Prepare the Batter: If you’re using a boxed pancake mix, follow the instructions on the package to make the batter. For easy piping, Steven Archuleta recommends making the batter a bit runnier than the package instructions. Fewer lumps mean smoother strands!
- Transfer the Batter: Transfer the prepared pancake batter into a large resealable plastic bag, a squeeze bottle, or a piping bag. Push all the batter to one side of the bag, and then cut a small hole at the corner of the bag. Remember, we want thin, linguine-like strands, so don’t make the hole too big.
- Pipe the Pancake Strands: Once your griddle is hot and ready, start piping long, thin strands of pancake batter across the surface. You can make them as singular strips or keep them connected at each end to resemble spaghetti. Watch for bubbles forming on top of the strands.
- Flip or Don’t Flip: Here’s where Pancake Spaghetti differs from traditional pancakes. You don’t need to flip these delicate strands! Since they are so thin, the tops will cook quickly as the bottoms fry to a delicious golden crisp. This keeps the pancake spaghetti pliable, just like spaghetti noodles!
- Create the Spaghetti Effect: Once the pancake strands are cooked to perfection, use tongs to gently pick them up and place them in a bowl. Play around with layering and swirling the strands to achieve that authentic spaghetti appearance. It’s a sight to behold!
- Topping Time!: Now comes the fun part—topping your pancake spaghetti. You can keep it sweet with confectioners‘ sugar, syrup, fruit, chocolate chips, and whipped cream. Or venture into savoury territory with cheese, scrambled eggs, crumbled bacon, and more! Let your creativity run wild.
- Bon Appétit!: Your Pancake Spaghetti creation is complete! Serve it up and bask in the glory of your culinary masterpiece. It’s not just a breakfast dish; it’s an experience that’ll bring joy and excitement to your morning routine.