With the rains continuing their onslaught without any sign of stopping, it’s inevitable that craving for something warm, indulgent, and sweet will hit immediately. Genelia Deshmukh knows what we’re talking about.
The actress shared a photo of the delicious-looking pancakes that she had whipped up for her son Riaan in a bid to lift up his spirits.
The best part about Deshmukh’s ‘cheer-up’ pancakes is that, while indulgent, it’s also a healthy version of regular pancakes, while also including “lotsa aai-baba love”. Her version omits any dairy and all-purpose flour from the recipe and is a vegan option that will still taste amazing and make you feel warm and gooey on a rainy morning.
So take a look at this super simple recipe for vegan chocolate pancakes that you can make in under 20 minutes.
How to make vegan chocolate pancakes?
1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1 ¾ cups non-dairy milk
2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoon flax meal (whisked with 6 tablespoon lukewarm water to make 2 flax “eggs”)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¼ cup applesauce
1) Whisk the dry ingredients in a large bowl, including the whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt.
2) In another bowl, mix the non-dairy milk with the apple cider vinegar and let stand a couple of minutes. You can then add the flax eggs, vanilla extract and applesauce and whisk to mix.
3) Now pour the wet mixture into the dry, and mix until it becomes homogenous with no visible dry lumps. Be careful to not overmix or attempt to make the batter very smooth.
4) Heat your pan and pour ⅓ cup of the batter in the centre. Wait until the edges look cooked and a few bubbles appear on top. Flip with a spatula and cook the other side for a minute or until done.
5) Serve hot with the sweetener of your choice.