There always seems to be a trendy one-pot pasta recipe that everyone is talking about. It’s the viral recipe you can’t escape on social media. Over the past few months, a certain decadent one-pot French Onion pasta has been popping up on our Instagram feeds, and it looks delicious to say the least.
You see, in the beginning, God (or Gigi Hadid) created spicy vodka pasta, after which came the baked feta pasta. And then God said, “Let there be French onion pasta,” and there was French onion pasta.
Yes, French onion pasta — like the soup, except it’s pasta — is reigning over Food TikTok right now. Popularised by a clip that now has over 8 million views on TikTok, the pasta’s creator Carolyn, aka @carolbeecooks, shared with the world her now viral recipe.
Naturally, we were intrigued by a dish that could only make Italians upset, pushing us to try the divine pasta for ourselves. Here’s the recipe below.
2 tbsp Butter
1 Large Yellow Onion use 2 if smaller
1/8 cup Sherry
1/4 cup White Wine dry
5 sprigs Fresh Thyme
Salt and Pepper to taste
8 oz Rigatoni uncooked
3 cups Beef Stock or Broth
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese freshly grated, more to serve
1/4 cup Half and Half can use heavy cream for a richer sauce, use more or less to taste
1. Melt butter in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Thinly slice onion and add to dutch oven. Season with a generous pinch of salt. Stir, then cover and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Remove lid, turn heat to medium low, and cook for about 20 minutes until onions are caramelised. Stir occasionally.
3. Pour in the sherry and wine. Deglaze by scraping up the brown bits at the bottom of the pan. Add sprigs of fresh thyme and season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Add uncooked rigatoni pasta and then pour in beef broth and Worcestershire Sauce. Bring to a boil and cook for about 15 minutes or until pasta is al dente.
5. Turn off heat. Discard thyme sprigs. Stir in freshly grated parmesan cheese and half and half cream or milk until well combined.
6. Serve immediately. Serve with additional parmesan cheese.