Actor Ayushmann Khurrana shared a desi protein shake recipe during the lockdown era in 2020, and it includes something called sattu. The Doctor G actor revealed that this homemade drink can be made using just two ingredients—sattu (roasted gram powder) and buttermilk (chaas). Yes, it’s that simple!
Khurrana has, on many occasions, spoken against the use of artificial protein powders and steroids that gym-goers are often advised or tempted to take. The actor has always prescribed a natural, healthy diet and lifestyle, sans gluten and meat throughout the years on his Instagram, and it definitely seems to have worked for him.
Khurrana posted a shirtless picture of himself showing off his lean body and six-pack in the picture, and said, “Sattu powder mixed with buttermilk is a natural and a potent protein shake.” He also thanked the health coach Luke Coutinho and nutritionist Deepika Rathod for enlightening him with this recipe.
The high protein and nutritious sattu drink has been famous in the northern regions of India for generations now and is considered to be a natural cure for several illnesses.
What is sattu?
No stranger to the people of Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and West Bengal, sattu is made of roasted Bengal gram and is packed with protein.
Benefits of sattu
- The nutritional benefits of sattu are many. It’s high in insoluble fibre, has a low glycemic index, is rich in calcium, iron, manganese, magnesium, and acts as a coolant. The powder is also believed to aid in digestion and weight loss and boost overall health. The mixture of sattu and buttermilk, as shared by the actor, can make for a filling and delicious protein packed drink for your pre or post workout fix.
- The high amount of insoluble fibre found in sattu is good for your intestines because it helps cleanse and detoxify your colon. It also reduces acidity and bloating.
- It helps manage lifestyle-related diseases and is a great option for people suffering from diabetes, high cholesterol and irregular blood pressure levels. To get the best results, drink this elixir with a pinch of salt every day in the morning.
- Because sattu is made with a dry roasting process, it seals all the nutrients in.
What is the best time to have a sattu shake?
The best time to consume your sattu shake is on an empty stomach, pre or post workout. It stimulates the growth of the red blood cells in the body leading to more oxygen production. It also helps generate more energy throughout the day and keeps your body hydrated. This all-natural magic drink is a boon during the summer heat.
How to make the drink?
To make this easy peasy drink, all you need is some sattu powder and salted or unsalted buttermilk. You can also tweak this basic recipe and turn it into something fancier if you’re feeling like it. Add some black salt and cumin powder to make it taste even better.
2 tbsp roasted Chana (powdered without skin) Or Sattu Powder
2 tbsp Curd
4-5 Fresh Mint Leaves
Black Salt and Black Pepper Powder (as per taste)
- Mix together the sattu powder and curd in a glass.
- Pour in some chilled water and stir well.
- Then, add in some cumin powder, fresh mint leaves, lemon juice, and a pinch of black salt, and black pepper. Optionally, drizzle in a few drops of honey for a sweet undertone.
- Stir everything together or, alternatively, blitz this all in a blender, and enjoy with a few ice cubes!