What happens when you mix Taylor Swift, the MTV Video Music Awards, and a mysterious cocktail? You get #DrunkTaylorsVersion! On September 12, 2023, the queen of pop nearly broke the internet with her candid award show reactions, leaving fans both puzzled and amused. The internet buzzed with curiosity as Taylor Swift excitedly selected a secret concoction from the VMAs staff, inspiring a trending hashtag and a flurry of viral memes.
Lucky for us, the mystery behind the ‘Cardigan’ singer’s newfound favourite drink has finally been unveiled, and it’s not what you expect. Celebrities like Swift kicked off the party with a special off-menu cocktail that’s as surprising as it is delightful: Bacardi Superior Rum and coconut water. Yes, you read that right. The chart-topping artist found herself unable to resist this simple yet sensational mix.
Now, let’s dive into the details of the other cocktail being served at the party. The official drink of the VMAs, the ‘Mojito Mo-Problems,’ paid homage to the late American rapper, The Notorious B.I.G. With its tantalising blend of rum, lime juice, fresh mint leaves and passionfruit syrup, it quickly became a favourite, setting the mood for a night of unforgettable sips and beats.
But the fun didn’t stop there! The VMAs cocktail menu had two more festive surprises for its guests. First up, the ‘Mango Fuego’ – a fiery concoction featuring mango chile rum and grapefruit juice. For those who wanted something more adventurous, there was the ‘Bacardi 808’ with rum, banana liqueur and bitters. All that was left to do was clink to your success.
But, coming back to Taylor Swift and her mystery drink, here’s a step-by-step recipe to a drink that shakes up a bit of pop history.
Taylor Swift’s VMAs Cocktail Recipe:
1.5 oz Bacardi Superior Rum
3.5 oz Coconut Water
Lime Wedge for garnish
- Grab your shaker and fill it with ice cubes — the more, the merrier!
- Pour in 1.5 oz of Bacardi Superior Rum. Don’t be shy; it’s a celebration!
- Add 3.5 oz of refreshing coconut water, bringing a tropical twist to the mix.
- Give it all a good shake. You want those flavours to dance together like they’re at the VMAs!
- Strain the cocktail into your favourite glass, preferably one that makes you feel as glamorous as Taylor Swift.
- Garnish with a lime wedge for that perfect Instagram-worthy finish, and voila!