Still not over the holiday season? Well, fret not, because we’ve got something to beat your post-holiday blues—the recipe for an easy-to-make, delicious egg casserole straight from Brad Pitt’s mum’s kitchen. If this recipe is good enough for the Pitt family, then it’s good enough for us, am I right?
Like any other child, Pitt’s go-to comfort food is his mother’s hearty casserole. This is such a solid, classic recipe that can be changed or embellished to your personal taste. We like to add more vegetables to ours, like onions and yellow peppers. You can make it spicy by adding some chilli pepper, or go light with the meat by swapping the pork with turkey sausage, or you can even omit the meat altogether.
We love this recipe because you can prepare it the night before and enjoy it with your family the next day without worrying about prep time (perfect for Christmas mornings!). You just have to pop it in the oven for 45 minutes before you are ready to eat. For the best eating experience, serve this casserole with a side of fruit or salad.
2 cups Milk
6 Large Eggs, room temperature
1 pound Mild Turkey or Chicken Sausage
2 cups Cubed Bread
1 tsp Dried Mustard
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp White Pepper
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Brown the sausage in a medium-sized skillet over low heat.
- Drain the grease and set aside to cool.
- Lightly beat the eggs in a bowl, add your milk, salt, white pepper and blend well.
- Add in the bread crumbs, cooked sausage and cheese and fold together nicely.
- Pour into a 2 quart baking dish and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 350F/180C, and bake the casserole for 40 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown.
- Allow it to rest for 5 minutes, serve hot or at room temperature, and enjoy!