This Brazilian lemonade—the latest viral drink on the internet—lives up to the hype! To clear things up, this lemonade is not made from lemons but from limes. The reason for the naming discrepancy is rooted in translation. In Portuguese, the term ‘limão’ is used for limes, so the beverage is commonly referred to as ‘limonada’ in Brazil. Similarly, in Bulgaria, the term ‘limonada’ is used as a general term for any citrus drink, encompassing both lime and lemon juices, which can cause confusion when translating it to English.
Brazilian lemonade is a delightful and refreshing drink with a creamy and citrusy flavour. It only requires three simple ingredients: ice, limes, and sweetened condensed milk. Traditionally, the recipe calls for using whole limes, including the pith and peel.
Popular Syrian-American chef, Ahmad Alzahabi, who is the man behind the Instagram handle The Golden Balance shared his recipe for this trending drink, among many other food influencers. What shocked most people about the recipe was that it uses whole limes — peels and all! So, here’s how you can make it.
4 Large Limes (6 if you use key limes)
3 cups Cold Water
4 ounces Sweetened Condensed Milk
5 cups Ice (divided, 1 for blending, 4 for serving)
- Begin by rinsing your limes and quartering them. Place the whole quarters, including the peel, into a powerful blender.
- Add 3 cups of cold water to the blender and blend the mixture for about 30 seconds or until it becomes smooth. Avoid over-mixing, as it can make the juice slightly bitter.
- Strain the lime juice liquid to remove all the pulp, and then return the juice to the blender. If you prefer a smoother consistency, you can strain the juice twice.
- Now, add half a can of sweetened condensed milk and 1 cup of ice to the blender. Blend the mixture until everything is well combined and smooth.
- Taste the lemonade and if you desire a sweeter flavour, gradually add more sweetened condensed milk to your preference.
- Prepare your serving cups by adding ice to each. Pour the Brazilian lemonade over the ice in the cups, and enjoy!