Chilly winter days mean steaming cups of hot chocolate, holiday movies on Netflix, and bowls and bowls of warm and comforting soups and delicious ramen.
Chefs Senthil and Gauri Kumar agree with the sentiment and have, therefore, come up with a special winter menu for their Mumbai-based restaurant Youkoso.
MORE: World’s Most Searched Recipe in 2022
Known for its authentic Thai and Japanese cuisine, the restaurant’s winter menu is a treat for people who love East Asian flavours. “During winter, we always have a high demand for our ramens, soups, and curry bowls, so keeping that in the mind we curated a special vegetarian and non-vegetarian menu to serve to our patrons,” says Chef Senthil.
According to the chefs, Thai and Japanese cuisine share comforting similarities with traditional Indian flavours and that’s one of the biggest reasons for their popularity in the country. “Thai cuisine is a wonderful union of salty, sweet, sour, and spicy. The key ingredients used in many dishes are similar to Indian condiments. Spices such as coriander, chilli, cumin, and pepper are common in most Thai and Indian cooking,” says Chef Gauri, adding, “Indian people like Japanese pickles (Nukazuke) a lot, a very common similarity between both countries‘ meals which is called in Japanese ‘Ichiju-Issai’, one main staple, one soup, and one vegetable.”
It’s their shared belief that everyone should know how to make warm broths during winter using locally-sourced vegetables and meat. One of their favourites to make is a delicious bowl of Teriyaki Chicken Ramen which is one of the “quickest and healthiest recipes you can make for the season.”
If you want to try Chef Senthil and Gauri’s Teriyaki Chicken Ramen at home, here’s everything you need to know…
How to make Teriyaki Chicken Ramen
15 gm Lotus Root
1 Half-Boiled Egg
20gm Chinese Cabbage
10 gm Spring Onion (chopped)
40 gm Mushroom Cubes
5gm Fried Garlic
5 gm Fried Onion
2gm Japanese Chilli Powder
180 gm boiled Ramen Noodles
For the Ramen Broth:
1 tsp Soya Sauce
5 gm Onion (sliced)
2 gm Ginger (chopped)
2 gm Chilli (chopped)
2 gm Salt
5 gm Sugar
400 ml Chicken Stock
For the Chicken Yakitori:
100 gm Chicken Leg (boneless)
2 gm Salt
1 gm Crushed Black Pepper
5 gm Oyster Sauce
1) Make the ramen broth with soy sauce, onion, ginger, chili, salt and sugar, and chicken stock by cooking all ingredients together.
2) Once it comes to a boil, add all the vegetables to the broth. Make sure the vegetables are cooked properly.
3) Add boiled noodles to the ramen broth.
4) Pour the ramen broth and noodles into a bowl.
5) Cut the half-boiled egg into two and the teriyaki chicken into strips.
6) Arrange fried onion, fried garlic, boiled egg, and teriyaki grilled chicken over the broth and noodles.
7) Sprinkle with Japanese chilli powder and garnish with spring onion.
8) Enjoy your bowl of hot and yummy Chicken Teriyaki Ramen.
- Quick links