When it comes to viral drinks, TikTok and Instagram are the gifts that keep giving for sure. From Yakult fruit punches to whipped lemonades, it seems like every week there’s a new drink catching on! Social media platforms are home to anything from new dance moves and food trends to hard-hitting news and opinion pieces, all in a catchy, short video format.
MORE: World’s Most Searched Recipe in 2022
Instagram reels are especially stocked with creamy, fruity, caffeinated and over-the-top beverage recipes boasting millions of views and recreations, and we can’t wait to try them out for ourselves!
Cereal Milk Coffee
If your everyday breakfast consists of cereal (cornflakes, fruit loops and the likes) and coffee, why not combine the both? Intrigued? We are too! This ingenious idea, devised and popularised by the Instagram foodies, has garnered millions of views, and it does sound like it’ll soothe our inner child with the inclusion of cereal flavoured nostalgia.
Any type of cereal you like (frosted corn flakes, chocos, fruit loops)
Espresso or Brewed coffee
- Take your frosted corn flakes and soak them in whichever kind of milk or creamer you use in your coffee for half an hour. Let the milk and corn flakes combo rest until it becomes infused with the delicious cereal flavour.
- Strain the milk to remove the soggy cereal and pour it in a glass. Blitz it with a frother for a few seconds to aerate it. And, optionally, in a separate container, whip up some heavy cream, vanilla essence and some more milk with a frother until it’s nice and thick to create a cold foam for your iced coffee.
- Next, grab a glass, and pour in your ‘cereal milk’ and brewed coffee over lots of ice and stir well.
- Top the drink off with the cold foam and a few frosted flakes, and enjoy the coffee of your childhood dreams!
Coffee Jelly Drink
If you not only drink, but eat, sleep and breathe coffee, this one’s for you. This viral recipe seems like it was devised by Lorelai Gilmore herself, and we can’t wait to try it out!
1 tbsp Instant Coffee
1 tbsp Sugar
8 gm Gelatin or Agar Agar
Milk or Creamer
- In a mason jar, mix in the sugar and instant coffee and pour 200 ml hot water over it and mix it well.
- Drop the gelatin powder in a bowl and add some of the coffee mixture to it, and stir it nicely.
- Once that’s properly mixed, pour in the rest of the coffee concoction and combine well. Alternatively, you could even dump the coffee, sugar, water and jelly powder in a pan and bring it to a boil.
- Pour this mixture in a flat base container and let it cool completely. Once it’s cooled, put it in the refrigerator for a few hours and allow the jelly to set.
- Now that your coffee jelly is done, simply take a knife and slice the blob of jelly into small cubes and take them out with a spoon.
- Now, to assemble the drink, add the caffeine cubes and some ice into a glass. Pour your milk or creamer of choice and follow with some brewed coffee once more. You could even let the jelly set in your coffee glass itself, and then pour milk over it to create the delicious beverage.
- Stir the indulgent morning pick-me-up and voila!
Fruity Yakult Punch
For the unversed, Yakult is a sweetened and fermented milk beverage originating in Japan that’s full of probiotic bacteria strains meant to improve your gut health. The citrusy notes of the popular drink not only add a unique flavour to this soda drink but also makes it more creamy.
Mixed berries or any fruit you like (Strawberries, Blueberries, Watermelon)
Lemon Sprite or any soda you have
- Roughly crush some berries of your choice with a pestle in a glass to let all the juices and flavours burst out.
- Add a generous amount of ice cubes to the mashed fruit pulp.
- Pour in the Yakult milk and follow it up with the soda.
- Stir the mixture well to reveal a beautiful, strawberry-pink coloured drink, and enjoy the medley of flavours!
We’ve all had lemonade, but not quite like this one! This beverage is a fun and creamy take on the classic lemonade and you just need four ingredients to whip it up and impress your guests. And on top of that, it tastes just like a creamsicle!
3 cups Ice
2 cups Whipped Cream
½ cup of sweetened Condensed Milk
½ cup of fresh Lemon Juice
- Pour the whipped cream or heavy cream, some ice, condensed milk and fresh lemon juice into a blender and blitz till it looks like an ice flurry.
- Transfer the mixture into a glass and top it off with some more whipped cream and a wedge of lemon on the rim of the glass, and enjoy!
- Quick links
- drink recipes